Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Shenandoah Mountain 100


Another year, another '100. The Shenandoah Mountain 100 is probably the biggest (and definitely the best) endurance race in the area. Also, it's part of the NUE Series. Last year, Floyd Landis, "winner" of the 2007 Tour de France (before he was disqualified) took 2nd, but perhaps more importantly, I had a great race. I finished in 12 hours and 25 minutes. Even though this was a bit short of my goal of 12 hours even, I was super thrilled to be finishing strong and felt good all day.

This year, although my goal is still 12 hours, I have high hopes of doing great. Things I climbed last year in the little ring, I'm hammering in the middle ring now, and sometimes threatening to hit the big ring. I feel like the solid diet of XC, XXC and endurance events in the spring, plus a little rest and some big rides in the summer left me at the strongest I've ever been, without having the fatigue I've accumulated in the past. I think I'm not the only one who's feeling good this year either. I'm not sure I've ever seen Dave T. riding faster than he is now. He is consistently destroying the competition at the brownie crits, and showed exactly how good his endurance is by riding the last 2 laps of the 18 Hour Scout's Honor race at nearly the same pace as he started the race. Our team captain, Shawn, may not be in the best shape of his life due to some illnesses, but is as strong as heck. I think he'll be riding strong as a crash took him out early last year, and he's got some revenge to take out on that course. I can't wait to see how the TevenBoys do. Nolan too is riding the fastest I've ever seen him, so I hope his first '100 is a great experience. I'm not sure who else is signed up from the team (Cyrus? Jeremy?), but I'm sure we're all going to put down a killer ride, and laugh our way to great finishes yet again.

Unfortunately, the BFR will be missing our great SS riders at the '100 this year. Ted's still fighting off some back injuries, while Kevin seems to be fighting his living situation (busted pipe during the first month in his new house?!) Rest up boys, you'll get 'em next year.

4 comments:

Davetoo said...

You know what I like about riding 100 miles?

Nothing.

EVERYTHING.

Scott-tay said...

Enjoy the ride and go out and crank some fast times.

Shawn T. said...

Didn't Lloyd Flandis actually take 3rd? Schalk and Harlan both got him.

-S

MC said...

Yes, he took 3rd, but he stood around for a long time at aid station #6 chatting with the aid station staff and waiting for Jeff S. and Harlan P. to catch up to him. I was at that aid station, and Floyd definitely waited at least 10-15 minutes, let one of them go by (don't remember which), then followed him soon after.