Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Today's attempt at a ride.


Bye Kyle simple strap, elegantly demonstrated in the snow.

What can two simple straps do for you?

Eric Moore--sans simple strap

Mich-Co and Shawn...after using the contents of the simple strap

Jo-Pro trying to outdo the simple strap in elegance.

The group-Pre ride-note simple straps.

Simple strap-in place, on standby.


__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was billed large "attack on ohill" Or somesuch thing of epic proportions and scope that it was doomed to failure. Physically, mentally, emotionally, it could never live up to all it was supposed to....especially not in these conditions. Right from the get go, it was soured by getting the 4-runner stuck in pseudo parking area. Strike 1
Then we started into the "single track" --by single, I mean, really it was that....what was normally a fire-road-wide-open descent on Ohill was a single track of hiker foot prints, a set o' cross country skis, and dog poop and yellow snow. It made for curious riding, you would get going for 5 or 10 feet, then have to make a slight steering input, and off you would go....classic stuff. We finally managed to hike a bike and sort of ride our way DOWN through a rock garden section of ohill. As Jason put it "We always climb that faster than we just descended it" Strike 2
We punched out at the bottom and decided to head over towards Reservoir road and do a out and back on that. Combined between Mich-Co running a cop off the road into the ditch and Dirty Uncle Stans non sealant failing me again, we made strike 3 happen. Tubed out we finished the ride and at the top of Ohill I got to play with rogue hoe as a shovel for a bit to get the 4-Runner unstuck.

But looking back...there is nothing else I would have rather done for the day...I got out on my bike with friends, and had some fun. Great friends and great equipment...really, that is what this is all about for me.

Oh yeah, the side theme of the day "Photos of Bye-Kyle straps in the snow" hey, he asked for it
www.byekyle.com

-Shawn

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It was fun -- I think you missed my spill as we crossed under 29 onto Fontaine Extended. I was going at least 25 mph when I hit the ice. It went well until I had to make a slight adjustment and ended up sliding for about 20 yards on my back. That was just before Michele ran the trooper off the road.

Gotta find more dirt roads to ride -- less traffic, and even with some snow/slush/ice/mud it was still fun on Reservoir.