Saturday, November 10, 2007

18 hours is coming

The 18 hour race is right around the corner. I did the pre-ride on Wed. night. What a great course, flowing, fast, good climbs, tight corners, some cool bombing descents. Nothing really technical to have to fight for the 18 hours, but still tough enough to keep you working and make it fun. 1500+ feet of climbing per lap are gonna make it interesting as well.
I think that I am ready to go, bikes are together, mostly dialed in, and the nutrition stuff from Cytomax should be here any day. If you have not tried the new Cytomax Naturals Orange, give it a shot. No added flavors or sweeteners seems to sit better on the stomach on these really long ones, and the taste is really pretty good.
The final decisions on tires choice and pressure will have to wait until race day and seeing the weather in the days ahead, but I am leaning towards the Jones XR's at 25-30 psi, especially given the heavy leaf fall in the past week. Bikes for the race, Top Fuel, hands down, the winner. I will have a Fuel EX in the pit in case I get really clumsy and need the additional stability of longer travel, but the course itself is made for cross country endurance racing, so even a good hard tail would rock on this one....but that Top Fuel suspension is so nice for the long ride.
The race can be followed on the website www.ride424.com My pit crew will be posting audio bits throughout telling just how bad I am suffering and whining. So check it out.

-Shawn

1 comment:

MRussell said...

Best 'o Luck at the race.