Monday, September 3, 2007

SM-100

Floyd came, Floyd saw, Floyd was beaten. Jeff Schalk, Trek-VW East Coast Regional Rider took him out by a huge margin. Jeff was on a new Fuel EX....infact one of the proto-types that He and Chris Eatough used to win the BC race a month ago. Jeff set a new course record at 7:06. Blisteringly fast, reports were that he was through the 5th rest station at 5 minutes BEFORE noon....incredible.
The local Charlottesville Riders did an incredible job, most hit their goal times or very close. I think every local rider other than myself finished the race.
I managed to separate my left shoulder on a tree at about mile 60 or so. I tried to continue on, but could not grasp the bar and safely climb or descend....so my SM-100 ended at the 75 mile aid station. Needless to say I am down about this one. Some races are just your season standard; They define your performance, your training, and your entire seasonal success .....the Sm-100 is this for me. To take a DNF is devastating. I will have to work through it, but first I gotta get this shoulder better.

On a positive note, My father helped me get things together a bit more in the new Team Trailer. This thing is really coming together, now we just gotta find an event to haul it to....that and a few more sponsors for the group as well.

-Shawn

2 comments:

-j said...

major suckage man..I know how bad the DNF can hurt.. but try to accept that some days just don't work as planned. Some people had days that ended with being carried off Wolfe ridge on a stretcher.

Give that shoulder a while to heal, and you'll be back out and fast as ever in no time.

LargeMan said...

Sorry to hear that!! I have separated each shoulder during a race five years apart (O-Hill, then the firt Paranormal)!! Know how much pain it is, just ride the trainer for a while then the road bike, come spring you be ready to rip it up! You have come a long way in the last 2 years, don't forget it!